There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

How Does One Measure This Stuff?

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights - in sunsets
In midnights - in cups of coffee
In inches - in miles
In laughter - in strife
In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in a life?

How about love?
Measure in love.

~ RENT, Seasons of Love, by Jonathan Larson

I remember when I began working on my thesis, I wondered about how I could "measure" my data. How would I even collect it? I can observe - use my own observations to see and feel how ritual impacts deeper learning and connection. But observation is quite a subjective way of showing data. It's part of the data, but it cannot account for all of it.

Feedback, in the form of discussion, verbal and written interviews, and written reflection (from journal writing and written responses to specific questions) is probably the best form of data. However, unsolicited feedback is the real McCoy.

After a difficult, yet thoughtful and caring discussion in my classroom yesterday, I received an email from a parent today. Her student joined our classroom within just the last month, and I am appreciative that she took the time to share her thoughts. The following is an excerpt from her email:

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Just wanted to tell you how much [Student J] is enjoying the discussions in class. I picked him up yesterday after school and went to the zoo with his brothers for a couple hours, trying to take in as much of this gorgeous weather as possible. When I asked him about school he told me how great it was to be able to talk about all kinds of things...and everyone's point of view seems to be well listened to and respected, no matter how different they are. I think this is so neat and unusual for a group this age to be able to come together and discuss their differences, but do it in a way where they can come away feeling like they've been heard, maybe challenged, but respected. Thanks for engendering that kind of openness in your classroom. He also shared with me about [Student J2] and the letters and the discussion that ensued and how one girl brought up that this class is a family and needs to function that way....I just think it was all so neat, for lack of a better term! It's great when you ask the question, "anything interesting happen in school today?" and you get such a long and drawn out answer. [Student J] really loves it!

As I posted yesterday, my students are constantly demonstrating compassion. They are reflective and articulate, and, as yesterday's conversation continued, it was really wonderful to step back and watch and listen as many of my students were able to see things from different perspectives and open their hearts even wider as they continued to dialogue.

The "compassion gymnasium" renders results: tipping the scales with deeper learning and connection.

No comments: