There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Season Tickets

Though not truly a ritual (nor a habit or routine), my colleague, Lori, and I have season tickets to the Southwest Shakespeare Company.

Every month and a half or so we get the opportunity to meet up around five or five-thirty in the evening, have dinner together, and then go see a play - something that always seems like "there's no time to fit that in." Having season tickets makes us fit it in. And that's a good thing.

It's a change-up...something different. Lori and I don't spend time outside of school together otherwise, and this year we spend little time in the office together as I haven't got a planning period. So having dinner and talking "shop" as well as taling about things more personal is a really lovely way to connect. It also gives us a chance to engage in something other than work and school. It's something out of our daily routines and something we both enjoy.

Though the production of Julius Caesar we saw this evening pretty much bit the big one (we left at intermission - we were also both tired and intermission wasn't until 9:00 PM), it was still great to just get out of the daily routine.

I don't want to go so far as to deem going to a dinner and a show a ritual. But it is something Lori and I do special together. We do it according to when we have tickets. And it's always dinner (typically somewhere different each time) and then the theatre.

At any rate, I hadn't written yet today, and I'm too tired to explore anything else in depth, and not everyday am I going to be able to write about something profound and/or insightful. So this is it.

That's the ticket!

No comments: