There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

And, We'll Have Fun, Fun, Fun...


...so said the Beach Boys way back when. And so says I when the going gets tough.

It was a long week this week. I don't know if I was simply extremely tired, or if having a regular five-day work week after coming off a four day work week just felt all the longer...Whatever the case, it's been difficult. I have felt as if I were wading through a swampy bog instead of tip-toe-ing through the tulips (or at least walking my typical walk on pavement).

Last night I simply felt as if today should call for some "lightness." So I planned a day that included all we needed to do - but with a wisp of whimsy and a looser grip than I had - obviously - been holding all week. And, you know what? I had a really good day. And I think my students did too.

Puppet-making in drama - our classroom was a-buzz with creativity, right off the bat. A tribute to George Harrison in Language Arts (gave the students copies of the Here Comes the Sun lyrics and played the song on my CD player), where the students wrote poems and creative stories prompted by either the line"Here comes the sun," or "Sun, sun, sun...here we come," stirred up even more creative juices.
I gave my students a choice in homeroom to listen to our current read-aloud book, The Phantom Tollbooth, or to listen to music and have a quiet time (they chose music, I had a nice respite).

Our last period, Social Studies, the students worked in small groups and had the choice to work outside, if they wished. It was a beautiful day and there's nothing like an afternoon when the sun seems to be shining down warm, and the breeze seems to be just light enough to keep the air a tad cool enough.

Upon returning home, I opened up my school email and found the above picture made of me by one of my students on her iPod. It made me giggle. There's nothin' like a little levity to lighten my self-made brevity!

It may not be ritual. But being present for it surely stems from my ability to be aware. And, as my friend, Brandy, pointed out in our online Thesis Seminar class: "What we study becomes what we live. "

1 comment:

Joan Griffin said...

Love the smile your student gave you... that must be how they see you... smiling widely!