There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Monday, February 8, 2010

The Other, Myself

This morning as I sat down on my cushion, I thought about some of the suggestions I took in during my Shambhala I training last fall. I recalled Bill Bothwell encouraging us to sit with reverence - that our cushion was our throne. I also remember him talking about the Dedication of Merit - practicing it before, as well as after meditating.

I thought about how when I allow my mind to dance off in discursive thinking, I am not practicing reverence of my meditation time. Nor am I being of benefit to anyone (myself or others) by allowing my thoughts to run off like wild horses (as the Sakyong explains).

Each time my mind began to wander today, I did my best to bring my awareness back to my breath, knowing that each moment could serve others, and that this sitting practice was not for my benefit alone. I have a responsibility to "sit up" and "show up" for The Other.

In class, over the past few weeks, I am noticing my students as they perform the task of "Peer Leader," and how they take such care in ringing the Mindfulness Bell. They patiently wait until the entire class is ready to take part in the silence/stillness practice. They are poised. They take their job seriously, knowing that it is for their peers that they hold this charge.

In Other I see Myself. In Myself, I show up for Other.

1 comment:

Joan Griffin said...

Lovely parallel between your actions/motivations and those you observe in your students... they keep us honest don't they!