There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

First Questionnaire Received!

Today I recieved my first "non-contemplative" teacher interview/questionnaire - filled out with some really good information. I was excited to see that Teacher "A" (as I will refer to her here), has her own Inner Methods that she uses before coming to work in the morning, and that she is very clear about the differences between habit and ritual and routine.

What she said:

A habit is something you do on a regular basis. A ritual is something you do that has a greater purpose or meaning behind it. Rituals are done to broaden your purpose in life or tie you to a greater presence in this world. Habits can be done on purpose or done without realizing it.

A routine is something you do on a regular basis, similar to a habit. A routine provides consistency and discipline. Rituals take what on the outside looks like a routine, but to the individual ties them to a greater purpose or time.

Teacher "A" also said that would be interested ("to some extent") in learning about and /or incorporating new ritual methods into her personal life and/or her classroom as a means of helping her students and herself make greater connections and as a means of deeper learning.

She also stated:

I am not sure how or what rituals for a math classcan be done to connect students with something greater in this world. So, finding some ideas would be interesting to me.

Teacher "A" wrote quite a bit ion response to all my questions and I am looking forward to receiving the other two teachers' answers. The four of us will be meeting in the next week and a half to discuss the questionnaire and have a "live" interview.

Pretty cool.

No comments: