There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In Honor of George Harrison's Birthday Tomorrow...

*(Forgive the discursiveness of tonight's post, but I have no specific thoughts to share, and I would like to take up the space expressing some sentimentality and extreme gratitude for this special artist.)

Born in 1943, George was always my favorite Beatle. I am grateful for his music and his beautiful soul.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right...



As far as I'm concerned, "Here Comes the Sun," simply makes life better. I can't help but smile even when I feel like poo.

Sun, sun, sun, here we come...


All I got to do is to love you
All I got to be is, be happy
All it's got to take is some warmth to make it
Blow Away, Blow Away, Blow Away.

When "Blow Away" came out, my friend Julie Airale and I spent an entire three hours one night, hanging out in her den, lying on the floor, taking turns getting up to replace the needle on the album groove and replaying this song over, and over, and over...I can still hear George's voice: like butter wind in my ears.

Give me love, give me peace on earth, give me light, give me life, keep me free from birth, give me hope, help me cope, with this heavy load, trying to, touch and reach you with, heart and soul.

Those lyrics are one of the most beautiful prayers I know.

Love one another

Those were Harrison's last words.

Good advice.

Thank you, George.

No comments: