There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Are You Now or Have You Ever...

...incorporated ritual into your classroom, consciously or sub-consciously?

I didn't realize how difficult coming up with "good" interview questions would be! Every time I try to come up with one I feel so...so...boring, so pedestrian. I keep hearing myself encouraging my students, "Dig deeper!"

Part of me wants to say, "Well, I can't dig deeper. I can't do this. I don't even know why I'm doing these interviews anyway" (pout, stomp foot, cross arms)!

I have no doubt that some of my students say the same things to themselves when I ask them to create discussion questions. How can I expect my students to think critically if I'm not willing to do the same? How can I expect them to keep trying, to keep digging, to make re-writes, if I don't keep on keeping on?

Right now I am a little stuck (mostly in my thinking). I also have been before - but I got un-stuck too. There's that little bit of wiggle room that always appears...a loosening...and then typically a clearing, and then a path to walk on.

Sometimes you dig...sometimes you widdle...and sometimes you walk away...

...and come back later.

1 comment:

Joan Griffin said...

Hey, I meant to tell you I'd be happy to participate in your interviews if you need me. I would have to say that I intend to use ritual in my class more than I do. I know its value, but I forget. I aspire to incorporate more... and your thesis is already inspiring me to do so.

As to writing interview questions... I have two suggestions that originate from Genet and JoAnn... First, Genet pointed me to the "interviewer" chapter in "the Active Interview" by Holstein (pages 38-51). I found it most illuminating... and helped me to set my goals and establish my purpose...

Second, JoAnn had me think about the five Maitri energies when I created my interview questions. I found that by asking questions that came at the topics specifically from those five perspectives resulted in rich and balanced information coming my way... the questions were worded such that anyone unfamiliar with the five energies wouldn't have noticed that there was a contemplative bent to them.

Lotsa luck!