There is Life After the Thesis

After chronicling my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences throughout the thesis process on this blog (formerly entitled Rites of a Thesis), it seemed odd to me to simply let the blog go just because I had turned in my thesis and graduated. I don't want to merely "shelve" my thesis nor do I want all that I got from my time at Naropa to lie dormant. I want my thesis to continue to live and breathe and become, and I would like all the teachings and experiences I had during my time at Naropa to do the same. So I am keeping the blog (changing the title), and am commiting to myself to (w)rite on as I journey forward.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Simple Intensity, Coupled with Improvisational Urgency

Tonight I spent some time looking over some of the papers I wrote from my first summer at Naropa. While there are only a couple that I can "pull" from to use in my thesis work, I was awed a bit by my writing.

That first summer we wrote a lot - a lot more than the second summer, and with little time. We also had quite a bit of reading, as I recall, and being that it was the first summer and our introduction to Naropa, it was intense. It was the intensity, however, and the urgency to meet deadlines that - I believe - kept me more present to the work at hand. I have a feeling that's why my papers were so clear...and so raw.

I'm wondering how I can bring some of that intensity, some of that raw-ness and some of that urgency to the draft writing of my thesis...

Two things I thought of utilizing: the Wisdom Energies (which have been encouraged all along) and the paramitas. I remember last Spring in Richard Brown's Compassionate Teaching class, how much the paramitas impacted me. I recall that I seemed to always practice the opposite of each to their full-blown counter-parts in order to really understand the true meaning of each of them (I don't know that that is a necessity for most people, it just seemed to be my experience all the time).

At any rate, with the work I've done this weekend, I am thinking I need to keep both the paramitas and the Energies in clear sight of me while I work. I also think I need to add an element of urgency to my writing.

I have a creative writing book that encourages writing with the assistance of a timer. I think that might be a good exercise for me for awhile. Just set the timer for a small amount of time: 10 - 15 minutes, and write furiously, and see what comes. It may produce some terrific results...and, if not, well, at least I will have given my right hand some good exercise!

No comments: